Thursday, April 14, 2011
Literature review
I read two references. One is the book " Critical Issues in Public Art" and "The Business of art". They have good information about the National Endowment for the Arts and the role of government in how public art is valued. One of the key terms that I found interesting in those books and that will help me to understand my topic is public art, which is the art created in public spacessuch as parks and public buildings. The other key term is grant(in terms of artists), which is money that is given to the artists to create their art. Different deffinitions of these key terms will confuse me about the topic. I was not clear about the meaning of public art and that was affecting me with the understanding. The references that I read helped me to answer my question because they offer information(limited) about the role of gobernment in how people percieve public art. They also explain how the National Endowment for the Art works and how this organization has helped artists around the country. The book From Art to Politics does not have so much information about this organization(NEA), but it is still a good source to understand my topic. I have found some images and artworks that are related to my topic. They represent different artworks that have been created thanks to the NEA. Some of them are La Grand Vitesse and Tilted. Ohters are related to politics, such as The Crucifiction proyect and Homeless Vehicle. I have not chosen any of them yet. I am still undecided in which artwork I want to discuss.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment